Thursday, February 11, 2010

Ahhh...another beautiful day in Shoreline...


As I sit here in my home office I look outside and see the beauty of nature! Yes, it's wet and cold out there but I see how fortunate we are here in the Northwest right now. We don't have the snow storm like the East Coast. We don't have the hot weather like Brazil where the temperature has been rising..today is marking 102 degrees.

Here, the weather is in the 50's and yes, wet and cold...but this is what makes our State of Washington "green" and "naturally" beautiful!

This is the kind of weather that makes you want to stay inside, if you have the luxury or are sick with the cold or other reasons, and keep warm...

I have been fortunate to have the computer at my disposal ALL day! The gratification of staying in touch with friends, making new friends, keeping up with family, "googling" information on anything and everything makes this world a nicer place. It's just so peaceful to be at home and doing those things...and eventually getting housework done. Ummm..."honey" I will.....

I have no idea how I ever survived without my computer, e-mailing, Facebooking and etc. Are you feeling the same way?? IF you are, then it's something we share and are able to "connect". I don't feel bad IF I ask people..."are you on Facebook"?? It is something that I have been doing for a few months (haven't checked to see WHEN I actually signed up!) and ENJOY! Yes, maybe that's because I'm a housewife predominantly and a substitute special ed teacher secondary. If I didn't have the second "job" I pretty much would stay home ALL day EVERY DAY!

However, there is the occasional volunteer work which I love to do as well. But, today I am having a leisure day of little cooking and baking. I have been making this "stewed" tomatoes breakfast for years - probably since I have returned from England. This makes for a wonderful brunch dish served with homemade country style potatoes and bacon. Then most recently, I have started to add a twist to the simple dish. You will see in the recipe I am providing of
optional ingredients to add.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

1-2 medium tomato(es)
Olive oil (extra virgin is preferred)

Morton's Nature Seasoning
basil (optional)
cilantro (optional)
cheese (optional) - Parmesan, Kasseri, Asiago or whatever you like for taste



Place tomato(es) on a baking sheet. Sprinkle the Morton's Nature Seasoning, sparingly. Drizzle a little extra virgin oil over tomato(es).

Bake for 20-25 minutes.

Keep an eye on it.

Serve with toast, English muffin or any bread to dip into the tomato(es) as the juice from the baking..."oozes" with flavor!


That is what makes cooking and baking so much fun. You can work with your food...play with it, if you will! I started making this "stewed" tomato with just salt and some pepper (not a BIG fan of pepper!) in a simple manner. Then as I started watching FoodNetwork I begin to add to my own "culinary" skills by "experimenting". Thus, a wondrous challenge of cooking and baking variations began to emerge out of me!

Oh...I can feel my mother {{cringe}} saying.."You should never deviate from my recipe or any recipe for that matter or it won't taste the same!". But, being on my own NOW I can do as I like! And, Bless you , Mom for teaching and guiding me all the way! So, my take is... IF you don't like it then DON'T eat it! Right??

I so enjoyed making heart-shaped brownie cakes with chocolate chunks and frost them with.. Nutella!! Yummo!! :)

That was my wonderful day at home...sweet...home!

Bon Appetit!

Lien :)






1 comment:

  1. Holy cow, that cake looks SO delicious! I love Nutella. I spent a lot of time in Germany as a kid and it was a staple there! :)

    I also always deviate from recipes. And yes, people are free to NOT eat my cooking! Hah!

    ReplyDelete