Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Who is Lien Titus...?





I just want to give you all a "lovin' spoonful" of who Lien Titus is. :)

I am a 43 year old adopted Vietnamese daughter to Dr. Patrick Tisdale and Mrs. Betty Tisdale. My family is a rather large one..certainly not the Duggars (the family with 19 children!)...with 5 brothers and 4 sisters plus me! We lived in Columbus, Georgia from 1970 to 1982. I had a great childhood with so MANY memories that I won't bore you with ALL of them!

We lived on 5 acres of land with the main house, two guest houses and a pool! The swimming parties we had and birthday gatherings were so much fun!! There really was NOT a dull moment! We all had friends come over. Mom and Pop had their swanky parties at Christmas time - I think the most we hosted was 200+ guests! My mother had two round tables full of wonderful food - appetizers and desserts. We would start baking the day after Thanksgiving. It was a wonderful frenzy of putting together menu ideas, platter/plate arranging, shopping for the ingredients and of course the COOKING and BAKING!! May the festivities ...BEGIN!

In 1980, I went to school in a town called, Pickering in North Yorkshire, England. That was a fabulous experience! I attended a "lovely" school called, Lady Lumley's. The host family I stayed with there, the husband was in the Royal Air Force. It seemed like I was surrounded by family who served their country. My father was a Lieutenant Colonel in the U.S. Army and the husband of the couple I stayed with was a Wing Commander in the Royal Air Force in England. I was well-accustomed to delicious food in several "international" cuisines. And, I am grateful to have that advantage as well as my other siblings.

Upon my travels to Paris, Amsterdam while living in England I found the food intriguing and absorbed the culture and their cuisine. I am proud to say that I am a HUGE fan of escargots! No need to ~squirm~! I don't get the privilege to eat it often! And, actually the food in England is really quite delicious. Simplicity and "bland" food was not ALWAYS served to me. I was fortunate to have a wonderful host family who provided me with very tasty dishes. I really like the Shepard's Pie (not the steak and kidney), Bangers with mashed potatoes and "mushy peas ( you know who you are of what that is - peas just "mushed" up...and then some!), "stewed" tomatoes and etc. Nothing "gourmet" just simple and basic "English cuisine"!

I am getting "homesick" thinking about this and writing it out! ~Yummy~!! (No laughing, my friends!)

We moved to Seattle, Washington in 1982 and lived in a neighborhood called, Mount Baker - landmark..."Franklin High School". I went to Seattle Prep in my junior year and graduated (with National Honors) in 1983. We lived in a rental for 1 year and then moved to a beautiful and posh neighborhood called, Queen Anne. There - we had more wonderful swanky parties that my mother loved hosting. I most definitely have taken on that passion, too, from her!

From there on out I have loved hosting parties! My poor darling husband, Damon was always willing to assist in my parties but not really wanting to "participate'! But, alas he found a way into getting more involved over time!! However, with the economy I have not been able to do it like I used to BUT still continue to cook and bake with pizzazz!! My love and passion will always be there...!

We have been living in Shoreline, Washington for over 12 years in this wonderful "quiet" neighborhood. I have two beautiful children, Amanda (16 1/2 yrs old) and Jack (nearly 14 this month!). They love to bake - more so with Amanda and Jack is "dabbling in the baking area. I am including photos of them baking their cakes!!

I do enjoy working as a substitute special ed paraeducator for the Shoreline School District. Now there is another passion and compassion I have - working with special ed children. I find it the most rewarding and humbling experience each and every day I get to work with them.."God bless them..."! I find that EVERY day is ALWAYS a BLESSING!

When I am not working in the classrooms I go in and volunteer when possible. I, also, occasionally assist on the buses that transport these special ed students to and from school to their respectful destinations. I find that EVERY day is ALWAYS a BLESSING with working with these children!

When I am not working or volunteering, I have discovered a new world...Facebook and NOW "blogging"!! So, I am constantly thriving on other Facebook pages that have people who share the same interests and being a part of the food evolution that is a constant part in our lives. I say..."take the time to enjoy the SMELL of food"!

I hope this gives you some insight of who I am and what I want to achieve in this blog. Meeting new people, staying in contact with friends and family and sharing each others valuable "treasure" in cooking and baking!

Bon Appetit!

Lien :)

No comments:

Post a Comment